Welcome to Janet's Blog

I first used this blog to publish "Trash" before I knew about ebooks. I wrote "Trash" twenty years ago. The novel explains why, in the original version of "If not for the tomatoes" Annie wrote: "We had aliens come and tell us". It wasn't Al Gore at all.

Annie isn't the hero of "Trash", but she has her own story ( a much more polished novel). Go to smashwords.com and look for "Tipping Point". (Follow the link to the right.)

If you're a first time visitor to my blog, try reading "If not for the tomatoes" first. (It's the short story in Annie's future - look in 6/5/07) This is only half the story, though. The complete story that inspired Tipping Point appears in my other blog as "Our choices".

To begin reading "Trash", start at 17/6/07. (Many apologies for the poor navigation.)

READ ON FOR LATEST BLOG POST


Monday 12 August 2013

Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow

When Shakespeare described how our lives "creep in this petty pace from day to day" there was high drama at the Macbeth castle.  There is no high drama in my life.  Instead there is a sense of days stretching on to no purpose.  Taking a "break" from teaching, I suddenly find that my hours are not consumed by the need to prepare and correct, to spend time trying to figure out how better to reach my students.

Perhaps I should put on a pair of sandwich-boards and hit the streets shouting, "The end is nigh"?  But who would listen?  Record temperatures, extreme weather events, ice caps melting, oceans rising - why aren't we listening to the scientists?  The greatest disaster our society is facing is creeping ever closer, but we consistently fail to act.

Is it because power is controlled by the wealthy who have benefitted most from the violation of our environment?  Because vested interests are greedy for more?  Even though it may kill us all?

I just don't understand that any-one could be so blinded by self-interest.  Profits will mean nothing when crops fail and economies collapse.

But how do we change the way the world is run?

No comments: