Welcome to Janet's Blog

I first used this blog to publish "Trash" before I knew about ebooks. I wrote "Trash" twenty years ago. The novel explains why, in the original version of "If not for the tomatoes" Annie wrote: "We had aliens come and tell us". It wasn't Al Gore at all.

Annie isn't the hero of "Trash", but she has her own story ( a much more polished novel). Go to smashwords.com and look for "Tipping Point". (Follow the link to the right.)

If you're a first time visitor to my blog, try reading "If not for the tomatoes" first. (It's the short story in Annie's future - look in 6/5/07) This is only half the story, though. The complete story that inspired Tipping Point appears in my other blog as "Our choices".

To begin reading "Trash", start at 17/6/07. (Many apologies for the poor navigation.)

READ ON FOR LATEST BLOG POST


Monday 23 March 2015

Cute Kittens!


Did it work? Has someone googled “cute kittens” and wound up at my blog?

Didn’t think so.

Pity. I was planning on explaining how to save the world today. It was the least I could do after my last post. You see, part of what feeds my depression is a sense of powerlessness in the face of what will be the defining challenge of our time. Can we tackle climate change before it leads to civilization-disrupting chaos?

I’d be worried that you’ll think I’m a real nutter, but since no-one’s listening, I’m safe. (As long as I don’t choke on my tablets.)

 

What really bugs me and sends my brain into a tailspin is that, despite our individual - and at times communal – brilliance, we can be incredibly collectively stupid.

Don’t get my drift?

Humans have evolved past the point where we were able to understand the seasons and develop the tools to survive them. We learned to grow extra food then store it for the lean times. Then in our leisure times we developed increasingly complex technologies that have enabled us to believe that we can live independent of our climate. Strawberries all year round come at a price.

Our activity has changed our planet. Climate change is being felt in the form of increasingly frequent extreme weather events. The residents of Vanuatu are among the most recent to feel the effect. We know it is happening. Our scientists can not only tell us why, they can also tell us what to do. We have the technology!

Yet change for the better is slow coming – it may be too slow to prevent us reaching a tipping point where our efforts will make no difference.

Still people resist change.

Climate change deniers continue to muddy the water, and corporations which depend on destructive processes to create their profits, drag their feet. And the media, puppet of industry, continues to tell us that consumption is good.

And our climate continues to deteriorate.

See what I mean. Stupid. Really dumb.

If we were in a boat that was leaking we’d be bailing like mad. Instead we seem to be knocking more holes in the bottom. And people seem to think that doing next to nothing about this critical issue is acceptable.

What do I think we should do? I’ll save that for the next post and end with a quote from Philip K. Dick.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away.”

No comments: